Saturday, October 6, 2007

Cheerleading, part duex



Well, we are most of the way through the season. It's been crazy. The cheer folks are under the auspices of the football association, and they are much more concerned about the cheer folks fundraising for the boys, than running a sport for the girls. I've been mostly pleased with the way they have approached cheer for those who are first year girls - give an overview of the sport, let them have fun, and give a good overall impression so that they determine where they want to go with cheer in the future. For the most part, we've hit it.

Now, I have to be honest. I was one of those folks in highschool who made fun of cheerleaders. I didn't want to be one, didn't want to know any of them, and now here I am as a mom letting the girls do what they think is cool. The girls have been in gymnastics for over 3 years (5 for Gwenn) and I've realized that these are tough sports - and cheer is no exception. I'm actually starting to think that cheer gyms may be the best way for those that are serious about cheerleading to compete and learn.

We'll see if they want to participate next year. For now, all I care is that they are having fun...

No comments: