Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Packing and getting ready

Here is what I have so far:

Packing List for Infants
  • Diapers -- purchase according to weight. Some parents bring just a few, some bring many. I brought enough for the whole trip, and when they were used, filled the space in the suitcases with gifts.
  • Baby Wipes -- travel pack, or bring half of a big container, and you can pre-pack in Ziploc bags for smaller quantities that are ready to go!
  • Formula -- talk with your pediatrician about milk or soy based. I brought a minimal amount, and after the first week slowly started to add it in with the Chinese formula that I bought there. By the time we returned to the US, she was adapted. This time around I'm bringing some to supplement, since it's fairly healthy and Lucy is young enough
  • Sippy cups - bringing a bunch of disposable, and 2 of the nice ones...
  • Clothes -- up to the parent. However, I brought 2 outfits that I thought would be too small, I brought 8 outfits (mix & match) that I thought would fit, and one outfit that I thought would be too big -- when I got there, I figured out what she wore, and donated the rest to the orphanage. (Also a great outlet for shower gifts that you are less than thrilled with...) We went through 1-2 outfits a day, and did laundry at the hotel -- it was inexpensive and good.
  • Baby Bjorn or other carrier -- bring a chest carrier or backpack with you. Strollers can be purchased inexpensively, and rented from many hotels for about $1 a day. However, on my second trip I brought my own stroller, and I will do so again this time.
  • Maclaren stroller - best that there is
  • Ziploc bags in all sizes (great for stinky diapers that hang out in the hotel wastebaskets
  • Cheerios or other baby snacks
  • Duct tape (we used it to fix everything)
  • Medicines -- see medical resources listed below, and talk with your pediatrician

Medical List of stuff to bring:

  • Acetaminophen - Baby Tylenol
  • Baby Motrin
  • Antibiotic -- prescription, reconstitute in China only if needed
  • Pediacare
  • Elimite -- presciption creme for scabies
  • Lotrimin -- for yeast infections & infected diaper rashes
  • Vaseline -- for use with an anal thermometer
  • Thermometer -- anal under age of 2 (yes, it works!)
  • Dosage spoon or syringe -- ask your local pharmacist - they will often give them to you for free, especially when you tell them what it is for!
  • Measuring cup for reconstituting medicaitons
  • Band Aids
  • Q-Tips
  • Hydrocortizone Creme -- 1% under the age of 4; 2% okay over age of 4 (verify with your own pediatrician)
  • Alcohol swabs -- for use with an injection
  • Syringes -- Check your local laws if you can carry these in the US. (Lara's note: I brought a variety for both Gwenn and myself. My doctor gave me a handful in a variety of sizes -- I felt like an addict, but I was glad to have them -- I did see doc's re-using needles)
  • Tongue Depressors -- some places still reuse these, although most medical clinics in
  • Guangzhou now give each child a clean one (I brought a handful as well)
  • Lice Treatments -- 1% Permethin (Dr. Borcher recommends!) -- others have used RidX
  • Benadryl --
  • Pediacare
  • Neosporin
  • Pedialyte -- there are brands that you can constitute yourself, and that makes your load lighter
  • Cipro - for the parents
  • Z-Pack -antibiotics for parents just in case

Packing list for older kids:

  • Clothes -- 4-5 outfits that you think will fit, 2 outfits that you think will be too big, 2 outfits that you think will be too small -- and then buy more there!
  • 1 pair of shoes that you think will fit, and buy the rest there
  • Pull-Ups (there may be some regression with potty-trained kids) - Since Lucy is over two, I'll have both diapers and pull ups with me.
  • Photo Album from home -- to start getting used to what it will look like!

Toys and Stuff:

  • Little backpack for Lucy to put her own "stuff" in
  • Coloring books (small) with little crayons
  • Stickers
  • Board books
  • Soft ball
  • Stuffed animal
  • Nesting cups
  • Blocks
  • Bubbles

Other Stuff to consider:

  • Dish liquid
  • Oxy for washing clothes in the room
  • Cheerios - and bowls to store in
  • Books to read, and Sudoku
  • Digital Camera, Digital Camcorder, Laptop
  • Tide to go pen (to fix those little spots)
  • All the documents you can carry
  • Money (lots
  • Gifts to bring for local officials and orphanage, foster family, etc (about 8)
  • Something to put over your eyes so you can sleep when you need to
  • Water bottle to keep bottled water in (buy a case in every city you go to on the first day)

My clothes packing list:

  • It's in the upper 90's with high humidity. I have 5-6 pairs of capri pants, no shorts and one pair of long jeans for the trip.
  • 3-4 pairs of comfy walking shoes. I'm a Privo fan and will have two pair on the trip
  • I'm bringing 7-10 loose, comfy t-shirts and about 2 tank tops
  • Bathing suit
  • One medium weight sweater and two zip hoodies
  • One skirt, with spanx... for walking comfort
  • Travel Guide - if you don't want the huge book, tear out the section on the places that you will be visiting.

And, it all has to fit into one large suitcase and one small duffel to check, and the backpack to bring on board.

No comments: