Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Neuropsych Eval

Well, we have had the evaluation about 2 weeks ago, and about 10 days ago I got the results of the testing... and have been absorbing it and thinking about it since.

Basically, Gwenn has something that is called static encepalopathy - static (not changing) brain damage. It's something that is there, it won't get better, and probably won't get worse. She has severe frontal lobe issue, which regulates a significant amount in her brain, as well as right hemisphere issues. The doctor believes that her left hemisphere is compensating where it can, but it's been a long week trying to let it sink in that what we thought were just learning issues would now be serious, life long implications. And that my daughter does have significant issues with her brain. The bummer in most of this is dealing with the fact that this most likely came from neglect in the orphanage, or abuse, but most like neglect - which isn't really neglect, it's just a lack of one on one care that can be given to the large number of kiddos in the orphanages. But, it was avoidable.

So now it's trying to find what Gwenn can do well - she is persistent, charming and wants to please everyone. And we'll balance with what really won't ever work well - she will probably never be able to manage complex tasks and lifeskills, learn more than concrete thinking (no philosophy for Gwenn, but that is probably OK), and will have many issues to overcome as she continues to mature.

I guess the good news is that I can go back to the school district - again - and remind them that Gwenn's issues are not behavioral, but rather medical as I've shared before. And I'll have more information to share with them on how Gwenn needs to be taught in school, and we'll work more closely on building an IEP that is more reasonable for her and what she can and cannot accomplish.

Next step is the school meeting - I'm working on that right now.

I think right now I'm still in a bit of denial. I'm still crying, as I should. I am sad for what Gwenn may not grow up to be, and the things that she could have accomplished. She is the same girl she was before we got the diagnosis, but now that it is in black and white and it's so concrete and final, it's been hard. I've learned to say that I have a special needs child, but now I really do have a special needs child. And it's not something that will go away in time and get better, and that has been very hard to absorb. My sense of humor is starting to come back, so that must be a good sign, but it's been a very hard week. I would have written about this sooner, but I just haven't had the energy to deal with it - or to put it in writing. That would make it too real.

No comments: